As many of you know I had a very ambitious reading challenge in 2013. I challenged myself to read 45 books (having read 49 the year before) including the 12 book club books and 25 specific books that I already owned and needed to read. Needless to say I did not meet that goal. As mentioned in this post I have a number of legitimate excuses – the number 1 being I’m pregnant.
This year – since I am 7.5 months along and have only until mid-March until there is a bundle of screaming and pooping joy taking up my every waking (and sleeping) minute – I have significantly reduced my challenge.
I have chosen to set a goal of 25 books overall, including 16 specific novels that I own and need to read. The other nine will be made up of book club choices (I am assuming I won’t get to those in the first few months after birth). I may adjust that number up if things go better than expected… aka if I get more sleep than I think I will!
Since I missed my target last year, included in those 16 specific novels are three that I was supposed to read last year but did not make it to (the bolded ones).
- They Fight Like Soldiers, They Die Like Children: The Global Quest to Eradicate the Use of Child Soldiers by Roméo Dallaire
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
- Tess of the d’Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
- Graveminder by Melissa Marr
- Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum
- The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood
- Still Missing by Chevy Stevens
- The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman
- And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
- The Lost Girls: Three Friends. Four Continents. One Unconventional Detour Around the World By Jennifer Baggett
- The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling)
- My Best Stories by Alice Munro
- Road Ends by Mary Lawson
- Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital by Sheri Fink
- The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield
- The Shipping News by Annie Proulx
I am looking forward to all of my choices above and the book club novels yet to be chosen and will hopefully make my target this year!
Wish me luck!