I can’t believe this is the third time I’ve done a post like this!
Year after year, it’s so much fun to look back on the 12 books we read and choose our favourites. Unfortunately I only read half the books this year, but I did manage to read our #1 choice… and it was in my top five too!
- January 2014 – Dear Life – Alice Munro
- February 2014 – Annabel – Kathleen Winter
- March 2014 – Where’d You Go, Bernadette – Maria Semple
- April 2014 – Jitterbug Perfume – Tom Robbins
- May 2014 – Attachments – Rainbow Rowell
- June 2014 – A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
- July 2014 – The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
- August 2014 – The Bell Jar by Sarah Plath
- September 2014 – The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
- October 2014 – In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
- November 2014 – The Plum Tree by Ellen Marie Wiseman
- December 2014 – The Best Plaid Plans by Terry Fallis
1. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Personally, I was obsessed with this book. It took you along for the ride as the protagonist spiraled into depression… or did she? It’s for you to decide!
2. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
I didn’t get the chance to read this one, but it’s super short and apparently similar to The Color Purple, which I loved, so I’ll definitely been tackling it soon. The girls raved about it!
3. A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
Apparently the book is great and the movie is just so-so. The premise is neat – five people meet on a rooftop on New Year’s Eve, determined to commit suicide, but they talk each other out of it. The novel follows their lives after that night.
What were your favourite books in 2014?